Engineering activities concerning designing and commissioning of melting-casting equipment for aluminium alloys production
Fabrication and supply of electrical heating systems for the equipment of metallurgical purposes
MHD devices and technologies of metallurgical purposes
Fabrication of refractory pre-cast shapes for the aluminium industry
Technology of production of wire rod with highly dispersed structure made from special aluminium alloys for aerospace and machine building industries
RPC Magnetic hydrodynamics Ltd. specialists commissioned melting-casting line with electromagnetic crystallizer (EMC) for experimental operation, it is intended for production of the rod with 8-12 mm diameter and overall weight of one spool is up to 80 kg. Company's engineers set up rod production of following alloys: Al-Si, Al-Mg, Al-Mg-Si, Аl-Mg-Sc-Zr, Al-Cu-Mn-Mg. These rods are for future processing of draw a wire from them.
The spool of ready-made 10 mm diameter rod
The essence of this technology is a molten alumimum solidification inside electromagnetic field with direct supply of cooling water to ingot rod. Due to this 8-12 mm diameter rod forms without any contacts with a mold with very high cooling speed and under the influence of magnetic hydrodynamic exposure at interphase boundary, which results in achieving a unique structure of ready-made product.
Aluminum alloy is prepared in the melting furnace (1), chemical composition and temperature uniformity are provided by the usage of the MHD-stirrer (2). Molten metal from the melting furnace (1) goes to the dosing trough (3), where required temperature and metal level are maintained. Through the dosing nozzle of the trough molten metal goes to electromagnetic crystallizer (4), where electromagnetic field plays a role of contactless mould. Coolant from cooling reservoir (5) is supplied to workpiece directly, which provides high cooling speed and as a result we get continuous processed product (6).
Melting-casting line schematics
ADVANTAGES OF ROD WHICH IS CASTED IN ELECTROMAGNETIC CRYSTALLIZER
- rod casted through electromagnetic crystallizer has 100 times less dendtritic parameter, than rod which is casted in direct chill mold;
- there is almost no dendritic segregation in rod ingots;
- due to high solidification speed an extension of solid solutions concentration areas happens as well as eutectic and peritectic points displacement happens, which makes it possible to develop new alloys and achieve existing alloys higher mechanical properties;
- electromagnetic casting as distinct from granula casting technology makes it possible to get semi-finished product for further processing (there is no necessity to treat and sinter granulas);
- further rod plastic deformation results in nanodispersed eutectic formation, which makes it possible to fabricate up to 0,10 mm diameter wire made from special aluminium alloys;
- unique properties of electromagnetic casting are the lack of non-metallic impurities which result in high quality product.
Alloy condition before casting in electromagnetic crystallizer
Alloy condition after casting in electromagnetic crystallizer
Eutectic structure without primary intermetallic and oxides
Unique properties of electromagnetic casting are the lack of non-metallic impurities which result in high quality product.
CASTED ROD PROPERTIES AND STRUCTURE EXAMPLES
This alloy is intended for substitution of copper wire on aluminium wire for aircrafts. Technology of casting in electromagnetic crystallizer provides the possibility of fabrication of heat-resistant electrotechnical aluminium wire.
Microstructure of 01417м alloy is uniform, dispersed throughout the cross-section, there no primary intremetallic. Microstructure is basically α-solid solution, where disperse eutectic (α+AlnMe) is at dendritic cells boundary. The smallest size of dendritic cell is 4,1 mcm.
8 mm diameter rod macrostructure
01417м Alloy rod
Admissible temperature, C.
up to 250 C
8 mm diameter rod
0,5 mm diameter rod
RPC Magnetic hydrodynamics Ltd. is happy to cooperate with all the companies, which are interested in joint development and introduction of the products with unique physical mechanical properties to industry.
RPC Magnetic hydrodynamics Ltd. can provide following services:
- experimental and industrial rod batches fabrication services;
- scientific research for new alloys development for casting in EMC.
RPC Magnetic hydrodynamics Ltd. engineers have designed melting-casting line
for wire rod fabrication with the diameter up to 12 mm made from special aluminium alloys. Annual production capacity is more than 500 tons.